I’m live-blogging #AREC16 from the Gold Coast. Here are my top learnings from Phil Harris: The Elite Performers Blueprint.
A reminder you can sign up for the Real Estate Grow #AREC Pack by clicking here.
What is it that elite performers are doing on a day-to-day basis? Phil Harris has spent a lot of time travelling around the world looking for the best real estate agencies and agents, to find the ideas he shares with his team:
- Shifts are more about Mindset than Skill set. Great example of limiting beliefs – when Phil started in real estate, top performers at award nights were selling 4-6 properties per month so he defined that as success (and struggling to reach that ceiling). Then he started meeting genuine top performers who were averaging 10+ transactions per month – Phil broke through that ceiling to achieve 100+ sales in his second year.
- Phil’s growth focus wasn’t marketing, billboards, letterbox drops etc … it was making a difference with every person he met. He cites Don Ritchie, ‘The Angel of the Gap’ who saved an estimated 500 people from committing suicide, as a higher level context of willingly asking ‘Is there something I can help you with?‘ with no expectation.92% of people will change brands, products or companies to align with those that serve a greater cause. So we’re back to the critical importance of WHY in business – earning great money is a by-product of serving great people.
Some great tips – Set to Sell (“Expectation” meetings) with Vendors; Energy management to ‘do deals without bruising people’ including sellers and buyers; and an obsessions with referrals (including rewarding them super well)
- How have real estate agents evolved over the years? Phil talks about the evolution of Agent 3.0.
Agent 1.0: Local Legend, lists 4-6 properties a month … somehow
Agent 2.0: Electronic Database, Use of Systems, PA. I agree with Phil – this was the pinnacle when I started in the industry 16 years ago
Agent 3.0: Intensely Trained, Rapid Growth, Saturation Marketing, Massive Leverage, Brand within a Brand, Nice Guy Approach, Pro Athlete Fit
(For Principals, this means building a platform for great agents to succeed not fearing their departure.)
(I’m fairly confident an elaboration of this point will make the Top 5 Mission Critical report I’m working on!)The #1 KPI Phil looks for is Legacy – what is the person leaving behind, in particular leadership and supporting career development in those you work with. This is personal leadership – and it’s a magnet for attracting other high performers.
- Winning Rituals:
4x daily deja vu (see below), Weekly reviews, and AM/PM energy management:
- Morning routine that gets you into a state of peak performance (eg, exercise, diary review, meditation, affirmations);
- Meet with your Team – set agenda, even if it’s just meeting with yourself daily
- Prospect every single day – at least 90 minutes before midday. Mat Steinwede taught him that prospecting for an hour every day changes your career, and 2 hours every day will change your life
- Do Deals – afternoons are about interfacing with 4-5 people, and you’ve got to be selling property in 30 days (for most markets). This links to a key, repeatable process for Price, Presentation and Marketing
- Call Lists – print these out to focus your phone activity:
- ABC Appraisals – (A) about to list, (B) 30-90 days, (C) long term
- Top 20 Club – Key referral sources
- Top 100 Club – Past vendors, Past buyers etc
- Top 20 buyers
- Current vendor list
- Just Listed Appraisals
- Just Sold Appraisals
- Saturday past appraisal updates – every Saturday afternoon, report on your market place to at least half a dozen A Appraisals. Doesn’t even have to be your sales!
Lastly, another one of these consistent themes: the world needs you to be you. Take the ideas and the strategies but wrap them up in your own personal style. Thanks Phil – I found the frameworks and structures in this presentation to really help pull together a lot of the content from yesterday as well.
If, like Phil, you’re bored with disruption then the webinar Real Estate Grow is about to release will be a breath of fresh air – it’s a lot more lego and coloured textas than doom and gloom, and you can sign up below.
Our next speaker is Zali Reynolds – live blogged here.
Are you receiving our Mission Critical #AREC Giveaways?
If you liked these insights, you’re going to love the AREC Giveaways we’re releasing next week.
- The 5 Mission Critical Lessons real estate principals need to take away from #AREC16
- My presentation ‘Disruption in the Real Estate Industry: What You Can and Need to Do About It’
- PLUS Real Estate Grow newsletter membership.
It’s 100% free – sign up by clicking here.
Fancy a coffee?
Jacob Aldridge is a co-founder and business coach at Real Estate Grow.
If you’re a real estate Principal looking for fresh ways to help you work on your business, let’s chat. Contact me on either 0427 151 181 or email@example.com.
Not ready for that level of commitment? Follow me on Twitter @jacobaldridge